The ADAB database (The Arabic handwriting Data Base) was developed to advance the research and development of Arabic on-line handwritten systems. This database is developed in cooperation between the Institut fuer Nachrichtentechnik (IfN) and Research Groups in Intelligent Machines, University of Sfax, Tunisia. The text written is from 937 Tunisian town/village names. A pre-label assigned to each file consists of the postcode in a sequence of Numeric Character References, which stored in the UPX file format. An InkML file including trajectory information and a plot image of the word trajectory are also generated. Additional information about the writer can also be provided.
Release of the database
This database could be downloaded from own Google Drive provided after scanned the release agreement.
The researcher(s) agrees to the following restrictions and requirements on ADAB database:
- Redistribution: Without prior written approval from the database administrator, the ADAB database, in whole or in part, will not be further distributed, published, copied, or disseminated in any way or form whatsoever, whether for profit or not. This includes further distributing, copying or disseminating to a different facility or organizational unit in the requesting university, organization, or company.
- Modification and Commercial Use: Without prior written approval from the database administrators, theADAB database, in whole or in part, will not be modified and will not be used for commercial use.
- Acknowledgment to ADAB database: In all documents and papers that report experimental results based on this database, ADAB database should be acknowledged as: “Portions of the research in this paper use the ADAB database collected in cooperation between the Institut fuer Nachrichtentechnik (IfN) and Research Groups in Intelligent Machines, University of Sfax, Tunisia.” and a citation to ”ADAB database, http://www.regim.org/publications/databases/adab/” should be added into the references.
- Citation/Reference: All documents and papers that uses the ADAB database will acknowledge the use of the database by including an appropriate citation to the following:
 H. Boubaker, A. Elbaati, N. Tagougui, M. Kherallah, H. Elabed, and A. M. Alimi, “Online Arabic Databases and Applications,” Book chapter in : Märgner, V., El Abed, H. (eds) “Guide to OCR for Arabic Scripts,” Chp. Part IV pp 541 – 557 , 2012 , Springer.
 M. Kherallah, N. Tagougui, A. M. Alimi, H. El Abed and V. Margner, “Online Arabic handwriting recognition competition”, In International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 1454-1458 , 2011.
 H. El Abed, M. Kherallah, V. Margner and A. M. Alimi, “on-line Arabic handwriting recognition competition ADAB database and participating systems”, International Journal on Document Analysis and Recognition, volume 13, July 2010.
- Publication to REGIM of Sfax: A copy of all reports and papers that are for public or general release that use the database should be forwarded immediately upon release or publication to the database administrators.
- Idemnification: Researcher agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the REGIM lab of the University of Sfax in Tunisia and its Board of Trustees, officers, employees and agents, individually and collectively, from any and all losses, expenses, damages, demands and/or claims based upon any such injury or damage (real or alleged) and shall pay all damages, claims, judgments or expenses resulting from researcher’s use of the database.
To download the database, please fill-in the pdf release agreement <link>, sign it and send it to the database administrators <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>